Tuesday 7 May 2013

PTSD - my favourite poem "Darkness"

I feel really moved that the amazing people behind the website http://healmyptsd.com have published another one of my poems on their blog. It is one of my personal favourites, and I've copied it below.

Some people who've read it have said that it's depressing - but I think they simply don't understand. Reading it again now, I would say it speaks of hope ... and of understanding without the need to talk.

What do you think ...?

Darkness

In the middle of the night you’re suddenly awake.
Was there a sound?
Was there a light?
You cannot say.


You feel something rise inside you.
Slowly, very slowly.
You feel trapped.
You cannot breathe.


Your eyes accustom to the dark, but nothing stops
the darkness
that takes over
your inside.


There is no way you stay in bed.
You’re restless now,
try to escape,
but you can’t run.


You hear the sounds inside your head,
the volume lowers
in the light.
But now it’s dark.


I try to tell you, you are not alone.
Please let me help,
please don’t push me
away.


You turn around, you’re shaking now.
I fight back tears.
Tonight you need
my strength.


In a few hours, daylight starts again.
Meanwhile I lead you
back to bed and hold
you tight.


I know you better than you think.
Your body talks and
within short you
fall asleep.


I still hold you when daylight breaks.
I stroke your head,
we have survived
another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment